Row River Trail
Directory

 


Steam engines were pulling the trains in 1902 when the Oregon, Pacific and Eastern Railway began operating under the name Oregon & South Eastern. The original line of the "Old Slow and Easy" reached Disston, a few miles past today's trail end at Culp Creek. The trains hauled ore, logs, supplies, and passengers. In 1971 an excursion train called "The Goose" carried passengers until the economics of maintaining the railway became prohibitive. In 1994 the BLM acquired the abandoned railway to develop a trail for public recreational use. The City of Cottage Grove acquired the remaining 3-mile section that will link the trail to downtown Cottage Grove.